Irish American Home Society
On July 26, 1945, a small group of Irish and Irish-Americans met at the Eire Tavern in Hartford to formulate plans for an Irish-American Society. John Walsh, Jim Larkin, John McDermott, Bill Carey, Joe Flynn, and Stanley McDermott were the founders of the IAH Society. Prior to 1945, there had been several Irish groups in the Hartford area, some of which had dissolved due to a lack of a central meeting place. It was felt that a unified, single group would best serve the needs of the Irish community. The general mission of the IAH Society was and continues to be, a society that welcomes and brings together Irish and Irish-American families and practices and preserves Irish traditions, culture, music, and friendship.
The Irish-American Home Society was officially incorporated in 1945. Our original meeting place was at 700 Park Street, Hartford, but within a short time the IAH Society moved to larger quarters within Lyric Hall at 593 Park Street, Hartford.
In 1955 due to a surge in membership and the need for larger quarters, the IAH Society purchased property at 69 Grove Street, Hartford, and remained there until our move to 132 Commerce Street, Glastonbury, in December 1967. The IAH Society has experienced a rapid growth since its origin in 1945. The IAH Society has over 2,000 members.
The IAH Society is proud of its indoor and outdoor facilities in Glastonbury and trusts that it will be a gathering place for members and their families - young and old, to spend many enjoyable hours.
It is our desire to serve all our members - old and new. We believe that the Irish-American Society will continue to serve as the focal point for newcomers to our shores to understand and appreciate our American way of life. We further believe that this society will afford all of our membership the opportunity to continue their appreciation and preservation of the Irish culture.